Urban League Community Center
Address: 1625 N. Story Rd. Suite #166
- Irving, TX 75061
Phone: (214) 413-1740
About: The Urban League of Greater Dallas, under a Community Service Block Grant, is a Community Action Agency and charged with serving the poor of Dallas County who are at or below 125% of the most current poverty income guidelines issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Program services are implemented through Community Service Centers that provide a foundation to enable low-income families and adults to move from poverty to self-sufficiency; improve their lives through community revitalization; and learn, expand and navigate social service and other service networks through community collaborations.
In conjunction with and in coordination with Urban League Headquarters, specific services offered at the Centers include:
- Emergency Assistance which provides funds for delinquent utilities (gas, water and electricity) and housing including rent and mortgage payments. Referrals may be provided to the Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP), a partnership for in-house services with Dallas County Health and Human Services.
- Health Services include HIV/AIDS prevention and outreach, access to *Link-to-Care program and case management for high risk clients in collaboration with the League’s health Program
- Technology Centers offers beginning and intermediate computer classes including Introduction to Computers, Internet Usage, Keyboarding and Microsoft Programs.
- Employment provides job readiness, job placement and career development workshops. Monthly recruitment is provided by area employers in partnership with the League.
- Education includes instruction or referral to address English as a Second Language (ESL), parenting, anger management and GED classes to prepare students for the GED exam. Other life skills topics are addressed as needed.
- Senior Services includes counseling, health screenings, educational screenings, paid employment training and job placement for seniors ages 55 and over.
- VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) offers access to computer tax filing of 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ forms. This project is intended to increase participation in Earned Income Tax Credit and promote financial literacy.